Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Music We Like and Fistfights?

One thing that I have always thought about when it comes to music is the fickle nature of how certain songs hit us. I am always fascinated by the fact that a certain song one person likes; another person simply does not get that same feeling. I have some time struggled with this fact. I will cry out to some of my friends, how come you do not love this song as much as I do. Yet, I will be the one not wanting to hear the great qualities of country music, period. 

The problem exists as I explained in my jukebox article is when people do not understand and tolerate this fact. On occasion, I am guilty of this as well. You then have two choices in how to proceed next. The first choice is to accept that we have musical differences and even try to appreciate the likes of other people. The second choice is to become a music snob. I believe that I have done a fairly decent job, not a great one in trying to appreciate the music of others. My proof is the fact that I try to listen to rap and hip-hop, even though my great musical love is indie rock 'n roll. If I had not done this, perhaps I never would've discovered Kid Cudi, Kanye West, Jay-Z. 

In contrast, the music snobs will not come within 10 feet of a certain type of music. This does not make me angry, but it makes me feel sorry for them. The reason why is they are missing out on music that could possibly bring about amazing feelings inside of them. The same people sit there and complain about your music, but when it comes time to hear criticism on their choice of music, they simply do not want to hear it. Even if the reasons behind not liking that kind of music are valid. 

This seems like such a small argument to some people. People say, come on, it is just music. Yet, people must understand that it is not just music. People are hopelessly devoted to the songs they are attached to in this world. I am guilty of this as well. I have always had a difficult time accepting why people do not love the band the Strokes as much as I do. 

This becomes why music in public places can be risky at times. The songs and the artists that people like is a deeply personal thing that will not only rub them the wrong way if criticized, but will cause them to be outright offended and do something about it. I have seen it before. Not only do they get into a heated argument about music, things almost escalate into getting physical. I love music and I love the music that I love, but I will be damned if I am going to get into a fistfight over it. People can be foolish sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment