Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Music and Feeling Down

One of the things that I have always thought about music is that certain songs come along at a certain point in your life and those songs are absolutely perfect at the time. Yet, times change, your friends change, your life changes, and it hurts to actually hear that song that you once loved so much. The song is played and it actually hurts a little too much to listen to because the reminder is just too hard to deal with. Perhaps, that song will be okay to listen to at a future point in your life, but you still cannot bring yourself to listen to it right then. 

In contrast, there are certain songs that you have loved and will always love, which you will always seek out when you are feeling a little down. For me, the song is the hidden track on Coldplay's first album called Life Is For Living. I tend to screw up quite a bit and when I do, I always return to this song because it gives me comfort. Chris Martin sings, "Now I never meant to do you harm that is what I came here to say. But if I was wrong then I'm sorry, I won't let it stand in our way. Now my head just aches when I think of the things that I should not have done. But life is for living they all say, and I don't want to live it alone." We all have those songs that give us comfort when things are not going our way. The song speaks to us as if the songwriter was actually specifically writing the song for me. I know Chris Martin was not writing that song for me, but it is fun to daydream about that fact. We all have those songs that comfort us in these times and that is a reassuring notion for all of us. That is the beauty of music. If you are feeling depressed, you simply visit an old friend that has some words of advice for you. It may not change anything, but at least you do not have to sit there in silence hearing the sound of your own wayward thoughts. I know being sad and depressed pretty much sucks, but Music can make it tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment