Monday, September 1, 2014

Hmmm...Rap and Our Culture

I like rap music. Now, I am not a diehard rap music fan, but I do like artists like Kid Cudi, Kanye West, Jay – Z. Yet, when these artists go on tour; I was sometimes a little apprehensive to attend the show. I do not want to make this out to be any sort of racial stereotype, but I do worry being a white man going to these shows. Yet, this fallacy in my own mind, was disproven when I attended a Jay – Z show at Soldier Field a few years ago. I walked in and I looked around at the crowd attending the show and it was more white than black. All this time, I had been wrong about rap music. This genre of music is now in the mainstream for everyone, no matter what the color of your skin. Many young white teens and adults across this country listen primarily to rap music. Yet, this is where a question or a conundrum does appear because of the content of the lyrics in rap music. I sometimes wonder why so many young whites are embracing what is essentially an authentic black experience. This leads further to the question of why they want to identify more with the black experience, rather than the white one. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this. I am just asking myself why is this so. For this, I simply do not have a good answer. I never said in this blog that I would be able to have all the answers. I think we must continue to ask the questions, despite the presence of a good answer. We must keep going on with such discussions, if we are to move forward as a culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment